Meringue is definitely not my friend. It’s an evil force that’s determined to drive me off course – maybe, perhaps, probably not.
With just two things on my to-do list today, I thought that I’d be ok in terms of time, but like most days I was like a tortoise on a highway.
Getting to work on my chocolate meringue with chocolate and rum cream, I popped the egg whites into the mixer and crossed my fingers.
It didn’t work, they weren’t coming together.
Eventually after what seemed like a decade, I managed to make a meringue for the oven that was flavoured with angsty feelings.
Wiping sweat from my brow, the next part was to get chocolate melted for decorations that were to sit on top (by the way, they didn’t end well).
My meringue cracked and before long it was time to attempt to actually get it on a plate and layer it up.
Accidentally messing up my decorations, I had to console myself with a different design which delayed me further before heading into the dining room. Oh well, at least the Moules Provencale came out right!
I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with me this week – I’m just feeling so frustrated about my ability in the kitchen. It’s like I’ve stepped back to week one.
Duck was on the demo menu this afternoon and I was delighted to see Rachel Allen at the helm again.
Tomorrow morning we have our wine exam and I’m hoping that it’ll go well considering I potentially want to work in wine.
So tonight, I’m attempting to relax with a glass of vino and a sense of wanting to do better and be less of a grump. Cheers!
Some random things I learned today:
- If you’re making consommé and it starts to get too cloudy, add another egg white and cook for an extra 20 – 30 minutes.
- Two duck breasts sliced will easily serve three people.
- Whisking egg whites in a copper bowl will give them much more volume.
- Vitis vinifera is the species of grape for wine.
- Corked wine effects 5 – 10% of all wines.
- A White Bordeaux is a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillion.
- White Burgundy is made from Chardonnay and Red Burgundy is typically made from Pinot Noir.