Looking to feed a family or just want to try out a new recipe? Easy peasy with this straightforward but delicious meal that serves about five people.
This recipe for a glazed loin of bacon and pea and potato mash only takes around an hour to put together and once you follow the steps it’s plain sailing (I’m a big fan of the mash!)
Time: 1 hour
- 750g loin of bacon
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 650g new potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 150g frozen peas
- A handful of mint, chopped
- 50g butter
- 100ml milk
- Salt and white pepper
- In a big pot place your bacon and fill it with cold water.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil – reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes (about 20 minutes per 450g).
- While your bacon is cooking, preheat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C (350°F)
- Transfer the bacon to a roasting tin and score the bacon fat in a diamond shape.
- Time for the glaze! Mix together the sugar, mustard, honey and oil in a small bowl and then spread it over the fat evenly.
- Roast the meat for 20 minutes until the top is nicely glazed.
- Get ready to multi-task, as soon as the oven is in the oven it’s time to get the pea/potato mash ready.
- Steam your potatoes for about 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Cook your frozen peas in a separate pot for about 4 minutes.
- Drain the peas and return to your pan, season and then add in butter, mint and milk.
- Blitz until smooth and puréed.
- Now for your potatoes, mash them until smooth (or use a blender) and then fold in your pea purée.
- By now your bacon should be nice and ready. Carve the loin into slices and serve on warmed plates along with the pea mash.
Lead Image: Úna-Minh Kavanagh